Saturday 15 February 2014

The Perfect Servant



A scene from Gosford Park.

Background: Ms Parks used to work in a factory owned by Sir William who was in the habit of seducing his factory workers. Women who fell pregnant were given the choice to keep the baby or their job. Ms Parks  was among the women who opted for the latter, believing the baby was being put up for adoption in a good family where he stood the chance of a better future. In reality, Sir William gave the babies to an orphanage.  Having changed her name to Mrs Wilson, she ends up head servant at Sir William’s Gosford Park. At a weekend shooting party, her long lost son turns up at Gosford Park among the valets. Anticipating that her son was planning on murdering his father, she poisons Sir William before her son comes to stab him. Mary, lady’s maid to one of the guests, discovers the truth and in one of the final scenes comes to talk to Mrs Wilson:


Mrs Wilson:
What gift do you think a good servant has that marks them apart from the rest? It is the gift of anticipation. And I am a good servant. I am better than good, I am the best. I am the perfect servant. I know when they'll be hungry and the food is ready. I know when they'll be tired and the bed is turned down. I know it before they know it themselves.
Mary:
Will you ever tell him?
Mrs Wilson:
Why would I? What purpose could it possibly serve?
Mary:
What if they find out?
Mrs Wilson:
It’s not a crime to stab a dead person. They can never touch him. That’s what’s important now, his life.
Mary:
And your life, isn’t that important?
Mrs Wilson:
What do you mean? Didn’t you hear me? I’m the Perfect Servant. I have no life.